6 miles in and around the Presidio
The city still amazes and surprises me, even in the most usual places. Running out the door of my current temporary digs puts me, within just a couple of miles, at the edge of the ocean, running across Baker Beach with the early morning sun slipping through the Golden Gate bridge.
Within the first mile I'm on dirt trails and running past art that's so subtle it almost doesn't register until I really pay attention. The first few times I ran past this sculpture below I thought it was something discarded from a construction zone.
Cruising above Fort Point this morning I stopped to snap a pic of a horse only to look up a few steps later to see a coyote watching me. Of course I missed that picture.

Today I went out, camera in hand, not worried about squeezing in my run before something else or getting a good workout, but being cognizant of all the things going on around me. 20+ years after landing here, San Francisco still awes and surprises me: how it's transformed, how I've transformed. Through all the ups and downs, in the end, it may rank as one of my greatest relationships.
But even before that as I came along the Bay Ridge Trail heading down towards the marina, I stopped with a group of tourists to admire a trio of surfers, carving right along the rocks beneath the GG bridge. And after that, a couple of paddleboarders. And after that, a handle of fisherman out on the pier.
Comments