The Iron Family Grows

For a Sunday spent inside watching a 17" monitor most of the day, it was an emotionally charged, on-the-edge-of-your-seat, excitement-filled day. From the moment the cannon went off signaling the start of the 2008 Ironman Couer d'Alene race, I was getting texts from friends at the starting line and springing out of bed to dial into the live athlete feeds the race organization posts online.

The next 12+ hours were a flurry of texts back and forth between friends on the sidelines in Idaho and friends here in San Francisco following the results. It was gripping to see my friends progress through the 3 stages (swim, bike, run), seeing the highs and the lows in their split times and sending text messages of support as the "dark hours" came into play. I hit refresh repeatedly, bouncing back and forth between the friends I had racing, confirming via text who'd gotten where, how far, how fast. With the steady updates from Jeff, Julia and Dana in Idaho, I could feel the highs and the lows, could almost envision the atmosphere. I should've been there. I would've liked to have been there. I might have even thought once or twice that I wished I was racing. Jesse?

Somehow an entire day passed as I putzed around the house constantly checking back in on the computer, texting and then watching the finish line video that runs non-stop seeing the winning pros come in, then age groupers. I got to see Brian cross, and later, via tape delay, my training buddy and LWP Jessica, both of who looked ecstatic to cross the finish line tape and hear for the first time, You are an Ironman. Those were just a few of the moments throughout the day when I felt a swell of emotion and thought, I need to do another Ironman! It's addicting, that high, and when you can share it like this group has, it's even more special.

And so the Iron family grows. Everyone finished, everyone will have stories to tell, everyone will take something different from the experience. It was a pleasure to be along for the big adventure, if only via cybermedia. Jessica, Brian, Jenny, Chris, Kara, Malik, Monica - congratulations! Dana, Julia, Jeff - thank you for all the roadside reports and pictures. What an amazing day.

Comments

You are a sweetheart Sam. THANK YOU for all your kind comments and support!

Can't wait to get back out for some leisurely rides!

Jennie

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas, Family and Skiing

Holy Ohlone

Lessons Learned Planning for the Tour de Mont Blanc