Double Dipsea. Girl Over 140 lbs Runs!
The Double Dipsea takes place once a year starting in Stinson Beach, over Mt. Tam to Mill Valley and back again. A trail running race that encompasses 676 stairs and some 4200 feet of vertical gain it's a run with wicked steep uphills, quad-burning downhills and shortcuts that, if you're lucky enough to find, will help shave off precious extra steps in your journey to the finish.
Just one of the several flights of stairs heading into and out of Mill Valley.
And then 2008 rolled around. It was a mixture of the first two - my recovery was strong; my running, so-so. It was at the tail end of a few hot, hot days in the Bay area - 81 degrees when I left my apartment in San Francisco at 6am - but cooler at the coast. Still, it was hotter than in years past and there seemed to be a significant dropoff in the number of runners out on the course. The first hill hits you right away and you already start sucking wind. It's just a matter of pushing through the initial discomfort and finding yourzone. That's pretty much how the day unfolded - a mixture of walking and running, drinking enormous amounts of fluid, grinding up the last unforgiving hill when even walking becomes tiring, to reach the aid station and then the open expanse of the coastral trail with Stinson Beach in view. I came through the downhills with no troubles - thank you, Crossfit!? - save for my sweat-drenched running skirt that kept sliding dangerously low. Skirt in firm grip, I crossed the finish line to find my friend Cheyenne waiting with camera in tow.
It was slower then 2007, faster than 2006, but not without it's firsts for me. I took home the "big girl" award in the Marsha Manit category - first female over 140 to finish! 140. Pounds. Like, 141 is a big girl?! Oh well, a win is a win is a win, and I'll take it. It was another great race. Cheyenne and I hung out until the end chatting with other racers and then enjoyed the rest of the day lounging around Stinson on a jam-packed day at the beach. I'll be back in 2009. With some friends running, I hope?! Hel-LO?

Comments
CONGRATULATIONS!!!