Big Brothers, Big Sisters

I had an interview with the Big Brothers, Big Sisters foundation in San Rafael today. That's right, I'm stepping up my volunteering game! During the interview I was asked fairly simple questions like how were my relationships with my family (good), what would my friends say about me (i'm awesome?) and what did I like most about my job (flexibility).

Then I got some curveballs - what do I want in a "little"? What is the age range I'd be willing to accept? What types of things would I see myself doing with a "little"?

Teaching good selfie angles already.
As a person with no kids and a surprisingly large group of friends who are also without kids, I have only my nieces and nephews to go by. And let's be honest, I kill at family functions. The kids love me! But that's all I have to go by - not a stranger, from a different economic or social background potentially, one that has actually asked to have a "big" in their life unlike my incredibly fortunate family who just got the luck of the draw.

No fear on this Disney ride.
But asking me to pick the type of kid I'd want? Or how old? My experience really only goes up to 8 so far, but I've been known to converse easily with the tweens and teens. I can color as good as anyone. I can also make up relay races, listen to Drake, watch Kung Fu Panda, juggle, play ConnectFour, read SciFi books, Instagram the heck out of a day, watch Ariana Grande videos, laugh at the latest Vines, make pancakes, play with water guns, shoot hoops, talk about skin care, and lay on the beach daydreaming. So I think I'm pretty adaptable to any age - 6-15 I think it is. Or am I just not thinking of something more critical here? People with kids? .

As for type - well if we go with energy to match mine (until 3pm at least) that could be a lot of fun. Someone who wants to try everything, do anything, explore anything? We'd be tandem SUP racing in no time! A little Crossfit star in the making! A budding Foo fan! But what if there's a quieter "little" out there, someone a bit more introverted? Truth be told I'm an introvert/extrovert so I think I have a good handle on situational dynamics and making people who may be more introverted feel comfortable and at ease. Perhaps I could get them to try something new - or we could learn something new together! (I'm talking about you guitar, chess, Spanish, surfing and data analysis as it relates to training.) At the essence of it all, I just like to make people smile. Everyone is better off for having smiled more.


So "little", wherever you are - know that age doesn't matter to me. Type doesn't matter to me. If you requested a "big" and you don't have serious requirements like "should know history of rap" or "should understand stocks" I'm here for you. Family, I'm still here for you, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas, Family and Skiing

Holy Ohlone

Lessons Learned Planning for the Tour de Mont Blanc