October skisteria
The last few weeks have delivered a trifecta of early round winter highlights in the midst of a fleeting Indian summer whipping up my dormant state of skisteria to a new pre-season high.
First, Squaw buys Alpine. BIG move. We'll see how it plays out especially in terms of opening up runs off the back of Squaw that lead into Alpine - all new terrain! Will backcountry gates come with it? Where will they eventually put lifts? I know some AM purists are unhappy and I probably felt the same when they connected Alta with Snowbird. You'll get over it. Change is good.

Second, 12 inches of snow landed above 7000 feet giving us the first foot of freshy for the 2011-2012 season. FRESHIE FACE! I have to get my skis out of storage. I have to get backcountry gear. Can I afford new fatties? I wonder if there are still demo deals to be had? Tip rocker or full rocker? When will REI switch it's mountain bike repair shop to ski tuning? When is the new Warren Miller coming to SF? Where did I put my ski jacket?
And finally, Squaw unveils its new logo.

I'm not sure about the logo. In particular, I'm not sure about the shield thing. I'll admit I think Squaw was due for an update but I have to sit on this one for a minute before I all-out embrace. It does look cool on their Facebook page though. That whole graphic is sweet.
First, Squaw buys Alpine. BIG move. We'll see how it plays out especially in terms of opening up runs off the back of Squaw that lead into Alpine - all new terrain! Will backcountry gates come with it? Where will they eventually put lifts? I know some AM purists are unhappy and I probably felt the same when they connected Alta with Snowbird. You'll get over it. Change is good.

Second, 12 inches of snow landed above 7000 feet giving us the first foot of freshy for the 2011-2012 season. FRESHIE FACE! I have to get my skis out of storage. I have to get backcountry gear. Can I afford new fatties? I wonder if there are still demo deals to be had? Tip rocker or full rocker? When will REI switch it's mountain bike repair shop to ski tuning? When is the new Warren Miller coming to SF? Where did I put my ski jacket?
And finally, Squaw unveils its new logo.

I'm not sure about the logo. In particular, I'm not sure about the shield thing. I'll admit I think Squaw was due for an update but I have to sit on this one for a minute before I all-out embrace. It does look cool on their Facebook page though. That whole graphic is sweet.
Comments