Dave Scott, Dana and Me
If I haven't said it before, the great thing about living in the Bay area and being surrounded by active people is the unlimited opportunities to do different things. When my friend Dana mentioned a workout her boyfriend was doing in prep for his Ironman race, I was curious. She said it was a "Dave Scott" workout - 20 mile bike ride, 5 mile run, 20 mile bike ride, 4 mile run, 20 mile bike ride, 3 mile run. Hello? Awesome!
(Dave Scott is a 6x Ironman World Championship Winner)
(Geoff Farrell)
(Dana Katz)

(Rnd Three)
(Church at Nicasio. Can someone I know get married here and invite me?)
(Dave Scott is a 6x Ironman World Championship Winner)So two weeks ago when she emailed to ask if I'd be interested in throwing down, there was no hesitation. It seemed like a great way to mix in some different training, get back out on my bike and spend time with a friend I hadn't seen in almost a month.
The day was grey, cool and windy - the kind I dream of having as an excuse to stay inside, watch movies, clean, read, sleep, organize - anything but exercise outdoors. (To know me is to know that I can occasionally complain about weather.) Sigh. But we headed out as planned.
Base camp was Nicasio Ranch. 10 miles out to Highway 1, 10 miles back. We did it 3x with the runs sandwiched in between; each subsequent run showing the faintest traces of sluggishness. (Faintest meaning considerable). Having biked those roads countless times I knew that the most to expect in the way of exchanges with other cyclists was the head nod, the low five, the smile or the occasional "Mornin'".
What we got as the lone runners among a stream of bikers was much more. "Looking good!", "You go, girls!", "Nice work, runners", and "Keep it up!" Two girls honked as they drove by - strangers - shouting "Go girls!" I knew we didn't look graceful or light on our feet. In fact, maybe it was some horrible look of struggle that invited the prolific encouragement. Regardless, it was a pleasant surprise.
So, too, was seeing familiar faces zip past us - Jessie and Lori heading north, Troy heading south, Megan heading south, Mark McKee heading into Nicasio Ranch, and Geoff Farrell coming up alongside my car as we were heading out for our 3rd bike. He joined us on his new "mid-life crisis" PK Guru and we caught up as we battled our way through the headwinds together. It had gotten so bad at that point that we were pushing about 11mph on what should have been a steady downhill. Yippee.
But we got through the winds, we managed our last 3 mile run, and Dana and I returned to the car feeling triumphant and exhausted. It's funny how sometimes a workout lasts just as long as you feel you have the ability to sustain it. Rick once said the body goes where the mind wills it. Or something like that. The point being that what your mind sets out to accomplish, the body will follow. And I suppose if we'd set out to do 4 rounds then I could've gone back out on the bike but thankfully, we didn't.
At the end of the day, it was a well-spent 6 hours doing an engaging workout alongside a friend I was able to catch up and share stories with. It was 6 hours among lush green hills dotted with flowers and cows; sharing the road with familiar faces from the extended family I've met through triathlons and the like. 6 hours of testing stamina and endurance, 6 hours of pb&j sandwiches. Just another great adventure - albeit great only being used at the end and not necessarily during - one that makes me thankful for where I live, who I know and what I love to do.
It's a blessed trifecta.
Comments
Can't wait to see you in a mere few hours!