No way but the hard way

I love this quote from an article by Mark Twight regarding intensity-focused training vs. volume-focused training. Can short-duration, high-intensity training accompanied by a few longer and medium distance efforts be more effective than extensive low-intensity, long-duration training with concentrated high-intensity work? Is there an "easier" way out?

As long as the bar is high or distant there is no way but the hard way. How could it be any other way?

Indeed, if the goal was to see how little I could do with the same results what would I do with all the extra time? I endeavor to see how much I can incorporate - across a broad range of activities - that complements my overall training without comprising my results in any of them. And still strive for the bar.

(Hanna and me at Pass 1 of the Death Ride, 2007. The bar was all 5 passes. Lots of miles, lots of spin classes. Got the pin.)

Comments

Rick Gaston said…
Sammeee! Oh I've been around just running too much, more than the usual. Work is slow and no girl tickles my fancy right now = more focus on running. That and I want to get faster and be less trashed after a 100. This whole discussion reminds me of M2 vs Coach D. I've been on the low mileage, multi-sport thing and now I'm swinging towards the high mileage side. Lots of arguments for high mileage and there must be something to it, most of the elites from runners to triathletes are on high mileage diets. We'll see. Last year I upped my average weekly miles to 60-65, added some new weight training exercises and I felt great, better than ever. So I'd like to see how much further I can push that. I just signed on for a few more new sessions with the trainer and she's been teaching me new stuff that is beating me down. Nothing as explosive as your Crossfit stuff but kicking my butt anyway. Add in a little hills and a little track workouts and I should be golden...if I don't break. Got your article linky, will read soon. I do know of a Crossfit guy who completed a very hilly 100-miler and his long runs were only 16 miles.
I cruise over to see what you're up to...Oh my, I see ME (at my grumpiest) and YOU (at your strongest). Sweet, I made the big board ;-) RE: Your post about duration, just finished "Outliers" and was introduced to the concept that it takes 10,000 hours to be an expert at anything. So, no matter what the intensity level, you still have to put in the hours; no way around it. What I admire most about you Sammy is how much you revel in putting in the hours.

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas, Family and Skiing

Holy Ohlone

Lessons Learned Planning for the Tour de Mont Blanc